St. Thomas Church (ca. 1857)
St. Thomas Church was originally located south of Georgetown in Shortly, Delaware. St. Thomas is typical of Delmarva rural churches of the 1800s. At its original location, the church had a small cemetery to the east and west of the building and was located off the road in a heavily wooded area.
The church was built in 1857 and rebuilt in 1892, 1906, and 1914. Services were discontinued in the 1920s and St. Thomas was closed.
In 1976, the Reverend Austin Brittingham initiated an effort to save the church which led to its renovation. After this, the church was only used for the annual homecoming and other special services. In February, 1994, the trustees of the church donated the building to the Delaware Agricultural Museum and Village. The church was dismantled, moved to the grounds of the museum in July, 1994, and restored.
St. Thomas Church is a wonderful example of rural church architecture of the 1800s. The steeply pitched roof, arched windows and stained glass are classic Victorian features. The pews, chairs (newly covered), pulpit, altar table and cast iron stoves (marked Chas Noble & Co., Phila., PA extra box 1878) are original to the church. The two chandeliers and lamps on either side of the pulpit were also donated with the building.