Mill Lane School (ca. 1850)
The Mill Lane School house (c.1865, New Castle County) was located in Middletown at the end of Mill Lane Road, off Marl Pit Road, according to Baist's Map of 1868. By 1893, the school had been moved approximately 1/4 mile to the intersection of Brick Mill and Marl Pit Roads, which is about 2 miles northeast of Middletown and 2 miles west of Odessa.
The schoolhouse and its 1 acre lot were owned by District No.82 and the building itself was valued at $500.00 in 1901. On the same grounds was a coalhouse located to the left and rear of the school, and three outhouses which the Delaware Board of Education noted in 1901 as being in good condition. Because there was no well on the grounds, water was brought from a well at a nearby farmhouse.
According to the Board of Education records, the Mill Lane School was open for 179 days in 1901. The teacher, Mary Maxwell, was paid $30.00 a month and taught 19 students with an average age of 11 years. In that year, total school expenditures were $361.16.
In 1919, the schools of Mill Lane, Brown Cottage, Armstrong, Eight Square, and Jamison's Corner were consolidated with Middletown School. In the following years, the Mill Lane schoolhouse was used as a tenant house.
Delaware Agricultural Museum and Village
866 N Dupont Hwy
Dover, DE 19901
Tues. to Sat. 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Closed Sunday & Monday
Check Us Out on Facebook!