Reed General Store (ca. 1873)
The Delaware Agricultural Museum's country store was built in Woodside, Delaware circa 1873 by John and Jane Reed. The operation of the store was handed down to their daughter Mary Jane and son-in-1aw Phillip Jenkins. When Mary Jane and Phillip retired, their son Glancy and his wife Elsie became the store's owners. The store was closed when Elsie Jenkins died in March 1988. The family heirs, Grace Carey and Kensil Rash, donated the store to the Museum in 1988, and it was moved on site in August 1988.
The country store may have been in operation for the longest consecutive period of time of any store in Delaware. In addition, the building represents the type and style of country stores found throughout the Peninsula during the late nineteenth century.
The one and a half story building has undergone little change during its 123 year existence. It has been restored and furnished to reflect a late nineteenth century country store. Jewelry, candies, tobacco, notions, threads, medicines, and spices are displayed on the shelves and counters. A bench on the front porch and chairs placed near the stove remind visitors of the social importance the country store played. Such items as lanterns, dippers, pails, and rug beaters hang from the ceiling while tin advertising signs decorate the walls. Rakes, hoes, scythes, and other farm tools are "for sale" in the back room.