In the News
Gene Carlisle: "A Man of Few Words and Many Deeds"
In October 2019, long-time Delaware Agriculture Museum and Village volunteer and civic leader, Gene Carlisle, generously donated $25,000 to pay for the long-term preservation of the St. Thomas Methodist Epicopal Church. The classic 1850s building is the heart and soul of the Museum’s 1890’s Village. Mr. Carlisle's donation was made in support of the Museum's Adopt-A-Building program.
Pictured from left are: Ag Museum Treasurer, Karen Hutchison, volunteer Gene Carlisle, volunteer Mike Collier, Operations Assistant Sare Busker and Board President, Grier Stayton)
The project to restore St.Thomas Methodist Episcopal Church (ca. 1857)
A major restoration project is underway at the Ag Museum. The focus is the restoration of St. Thomas Methodist Episcopal Church (ca. 1857).
The church is an important symbol of Delaware’s rural history and heritage and a wonderful example of 19th century rural church architecture, characterized by the steeply pitched roof, arched windows and Victorian Era stained glass. The pews, chairs, pulpit, alter and cast-iron stoves are original to the church.
Sadly, the building has fallen into disrepair over the years, mostly due to a lack of funding dedicated to support its’ long-term preservation.
In an effort to save this beautiful building, the Delaware Agricultural Museum has hired a contractor to perform the necessary restoration work on the church.